Discovery Channel's Mythbusters aired a baseball myth special this week, taking on the following topics:
* Do corked bats hit a ball further than regular bats?
* Does storing balls in a humidor really decrease their distance of travel?
* Is sliding into a base faster than stopping on the base?
* Is there such thing as a rising fastball?
* Is it possible to hit the cover off a ball?
The show is definitely worth checking out, even though it is abundantly clear that nobody on the show knows much about baseball. They imported Rodger Clemens to help them out. One of most interesting sequences shows the difference in path of a Clemens fastball, curveball and slider to the plate.
Myth test results are listed in the comment of this post!